Author Topic: Riding since o8 and still feel like a newbie!  (Read 2795 times)

justman

Riding since o8 and still feel like a newbie!
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »
I was interested in acquiring riding skills that make sense in real world applications.  I like the idea of race track riding, it's just so expensive and doesn't seem to match well with my everyday riding realities.  I am amazed with the riding skills of Moto Gymkhana riders.  I wanted to find out how to get into something like that.  It looks like I will have to travel out of state.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:03:46 PM by justman »

jrobinson

• View Profile
Re: Riding since o8 and still feel like a newbie!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
Hi justman and welcome. There is a lot you can do on your own. Look at the GP8 course. You can use cones, tennis balls cut in half or anything that will give you a point of reference. Find a parking lot and start practicing.

Holler if you have questions and I'm sure someone will respond.

justman

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:38:41 AM »
Thanks jrobinson. Hopefully I can get something started here in Vegas.  I'm very impressed with those who ride in gymkhana events. 

Springer

• Those who dare, win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
 Welcome to AMGRASS! Yep just take a look at some of the course lay-outs on here and set one or two up in a vacant parking lot! The small 2inch cones are cheap and easy to pack on a motorcycle.

KrisCook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Are there plenty of parking lots where you can practice out there in Vegas?  Here, there are a few dead shopping centers that are near my house that have nice big empty parking lots.  If I go practice around dusk and early evening, no one bothers me and I have the place to myself.  I don't know if the economic downturn that killed our shopping centers actually affected anything in your neck of the woods, so I can imagine a dead parking lot is a little harder to come by. 

Keep us posted! 
"I plan to keep this one long enough to determine the approximate plum-wore-out coefficient."  -- KD Trull

Eek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
Hey! Maybe this could help: See the link below for the remote competition; set out the course, make a vid and see where you can improve.

http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/remote-competition/