Author Topic: Moto-Gymkhana Practice Session - Jan. 4, 2015  (Read 1770 times)

ViciousCycle

• View Profile
Moto-Gymkhana Practice Session - Jan. 4, 2015
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
RESCHEDULED DUE TO NEW DMV HOURS (Open Sat.)

Dept. of Motor Vehicles practice lot
909 W. Valencia Dr., Fullerton, CA

Date: Saturday, January 3, 2015 Sunday, January 4, 2015

Time: 1:00 PM 12:00 PM

Come on out to a no-pressure atmosphere and work on your low-speed technical riding. All types of bikes and all skill levels are welcome! This is a free event.

See below for a diagram of the main course. A limited number of extra cones and tennis ball markers will be available for additional layouts (F8, etc.) as desired. An IR lap timer will be available for anyone who wishes to time him/herself.

This will be an informal practice session, not an organized competition. No affiliation with the DMV.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:10:20 PM by ViciousCycle »

KrisCook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Moto-Gymkhana Practice Session - Jan. 4, 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
Did you get a good turnout at your practice? 
"I plan to keep this one long enough to determine the approximate plum-wore-out coefficient."  -- KD Trull

ViciousCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »
Did you get a good turnout at your practice?

Kris, only one person came out on Saturday, but we had to leave and reschedule because of the new DMV hours. Then he couldn't make it on Sunday due to a broken clutch cable. It was just me on Sunday, but I practiced for a few hours as I normally would.

I've asked myself and others what the reasons might be for consistently low turnout at my sessions (which I advertise on a local riders forum). Most of the people who have attended one or more of the sessions seem genuinely enthusiastic, but I think they lack stick-to-it-tiveness. As for those who have shown interest online but then don't come out, I suspect they fall into one or more of these categories:
  • Would like to have a go at it but are too intimidated to try it, out of fear of showing poor skills in front of others
  • Are too afraid of dropping their precious bike
  • Perceive low-speed riding as not "cool" by the standards of the particular motorcycle rider subculture they subscribe to and seek the approval of
Oh well, you can lead a horse to water . . .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:56:38 AM by ViciousCycle »

KrisCook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
I feel you.  We usually have a pretty good turnout, because we're all riding buddies and enjoy one another's company.  But what's killing us, besides the fact that it's winter, is the lack of a sanctioned place to hold an event.

There's a parking lot near where I live that is big and pretty clean and a wonderful place for me to go practice, but I'm afraid to invite everyone else, thinking it would be terrible if I advertise a practice and some riders come from an hour or two away to get there, only to be run off by the authorities just as we get going good.   I don't care if they run ME off, since it's one minute from my house, but I'd feel awful if it happened to people I had invited there.

No one wants the liability, and no one will believe me when I tell them that they have no liability.  My friends and I are big kids and we take responsibility for our own bad behavior.   The litigious society we live in has sure messed up a lot of things that could and should be simpler. 
"I plan to keep this one long enough to determine the approximate plum-wore-out coefficient."  -- KD Trull

ViciousCycle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:14:46 AM »
I can totally relate to that. I lost count of how many lots I've been kicked out of.

KrisCook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »
Don't let 'em get you down!  Just keep looking.  Someone will find one that you can use.

I have dreams of finding a piece of land and paving it for a permanent place for us.  But that takes a whole bunch of money that I don't have.  But a girl can dream.   :)